Skip to content

Voki Tip of the Week: Give your Voki a Human Voice with a Microphone

February 22, 2012

Are you looking to get the most human-like Voki voice possible? Why not try recording your own voice on your Voki? Recording your voice on Voki is fun and adds the dimension of hearing your (or a student’s) actual voice. Whether it will be used to practice public speaking, foreign language pronunciation, or to add a dramatic effect to an assignment, voice recording is an easy-to-use tool that can prove to be very useful for Voki lessons.

In our latest “Interview with Educators“, music teacher Lyndell Allen used a Voki voice recording to help create a fun, interactive environment in her music classes.

We have many lesson plans in the Voki Lesson Plan Database that make use of recorded voices, especially in public speaking, ESL, foreign language and arts classes. The ways of using Voki voice recordings are endless!

In order to get the most out of your voice recording experience, it is important to be prepared with the right tools. There are two ways you can record your voice. One option is to use a computer microphone (either internal or external), and the other is to use a phone. Below, we take you through the steps for using a microphone to record your voice on Voki. Get your microphones ready and your voices warmed up!

Voki Voice Recording with a Microphone

You will need:

1.  A computer

2.  A microphone that works with your computer

Steps:

1.  If your computer does not have a built in microphone, plug in your external microphone to the computer.

2.  Test to make sure the microphone is properly connected to your computer:

a.  Go to My Computer

b.  Click on Control Panel

c.  Choose Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices

d.  Click Sounds and Audio Devices

e.  Click the Voice tab

f.  Under Voice Recording, click Test Hardware

If you have trouble setting up your microphone, ask your IT administrator.

3.  Once your microphone is properly connected, you are set to use Voki voice recording.

4.  Go to http://www.voki.com and log in or go to the Create section.

5.  Design your Voki as you wish.

6.  Under the Give it a Voice section, click the microphone icon.

7.  Choose “Allow” on the screen that pops up asking for Voki permission to access your microphone.

a. Starting with the first tab:

i. Make sure the box by “Enable Hardware Acceleration” is checked.

ii. “Allow” vhss-d.oddcast.com to access your camera and microphone.

iii. The local storage tab is set at default and should not be changed.

iv. Slide the record volume to max and check the box next to reduce echo.

8.  Close the pop-up.

9.  Prepare what you want to say and press Record.

10. When you have finished recording, press Stop.

11.  Once you are happy with your recording, press Save and Name your audio file.

You will have 60 seconds to record your voice using Voki and 90 seconds with Voki Classroom. Don’t worry if you or your students don’t get it the first time. You can always try again until you are happy with you recording!

Tip: Your saved recordings are available by clicking the Folder icon under Give it a Voice.

Go ahead and try out Voki using a microphone to record your voice! If you have any great lesson ideas that use the voice recording function, please share it with us below in a comment or email to feedback@voki.com.

Until Next Time,

The Voki Team

About these ads
21 Comments leave one →
  1. Anne Valentine permalink
    February 22, 2012 3:47 pm

Why when I try to record does the recording cut in and out?

2. Tammy permalink
    May 10, 2012 2:17 am

I have created an avatar. I originally gave it a voice using text. I now want to change the voice using the microphone. I followed all of the above steps several times. I can not get rid of the text voice and can not find the several recorded voices that are supposed to be in the Give It A Voice folder. I need this for an assignment and am getting very frustrated. Any suggestions????

• May 10, 2012 12:59 pm

We are sorry for the inconvenience and are working to fix this issue promptly. Until it is fixed, please use the phone voice record option. Simply edit your Voki, choose the voice record by phone option, place the call and enter the passcode, record, and save. There is no need for you to delete your text in order for the new audio to show up.

We hope this works for you while we resolve this issue.

The Voki Team

• May 14, 2013 6:06 pm

I’m having the same problem as Tammy, but it’s a year later than your previous reply. Has this issue been fixed? If not, are there any options other than the phone? I have 60 kids to record, and there’s no way to get them through one phone call at a time.

• May 15, 2013 1:54 pm

Hi Lesa,

If you’re still having problems with recording, feel free to shoot an email out to us! Another way to give your Voki a voice is to record with a mic by following the instructions in the post or just simply upload the audio file. Your students can record their Voki message before uploading to their Voki.

The Voki Team

• Sarah permalink
      May 31, 2014 2:40 pm

I erased the text, then clicked on the upload audio file picture. When I returned to text, it was gone.

• June 3, 2014 7:51 pm

Hi Sarah,

The text was gone because you deleted it! If that’s the case, you’ll have to re-type the text!

Best,
        Eva
        The Voki Team

3. Leny permalink
    July 8, 2012 9:21 pm

Is there a charge for using the phone feature to record?

4. Suzanne Reinhardt permalink
    September 17, 2012 2:40 am

My recording is doing the same thing as what the first commenter mentioned, it’s cutting in and out. Can you help?

5. Kylie permalink
    November 12, 2012 6:51 am

I have followed each of the above steps, my microphone is working fine, but when I press record, nothing happens and I can even press stop. It just doesn’t nothing. Very frustrating because I’m using it at school to record my students doing some work and both my laptop with a built in microphone and the desktop computers with a USB attached microphone don’t work.

6. josh permalink
    January 8, 2014 4:04 am

how do you type the phone code in

• January 13, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi Josh,

You can type in the phone code using your touch-tone keypad.

7. March 20, 2014 8:59 pm

hi i am do not now how to change my sound of my voki i do not mean the axtunt i mean the sound like a chickmunck squeaky sounds and others

• March 20, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi there,

To do that, you’ll have to click on the FX tab!

Best,
      The Voki Team

8. abby permalink
    March 29, 2014 11:01 pm

I recorded my voice using the microphone and it saved it. The directions say to then click ont he folder icon but I don’t see the file anywhere. Is there a reason why this is not working?

9. chris permalink
    October 27, 2014 12:34 pm

I am doing a book report using voki, but the audio was longer than the 90 seconds allowed. So I recorded segments into multiple audio files. Is there an efficient way to play back a sequence of multiple audio files with my avatar?

• November 3, 2014 9:55 am

Hi Chris,

The audio limit for free Voki is 60 seconds, and 90 seconds for Voki Classroom and Voki Presenter. There’s no way to play a sequence of audio on the same character because of the audio limit. You will have to create separate Vokis for that.

The Voki Team