Student engagement can be an elusive entity for today’s educators. There are many possible causes for learner apathy which range from boredom to socio-economic issues to a lack of ability. The goal for educators is to find resources that inspire students to actively participate in their learning. One such resource is Voki – a speaking avatar web tool. Even the most reluctant learners embrace Voki as it gives them the opportunity to express themselves without the need of standing in front of their peers – a very terrifying experience for some. From an educational standpoint, Voki provides all students with an equal opportunity to earn the best grade possible!
But who is really best suited to explain the educational benefits of Voki? The students, of course! Below are some student testimonials that will further highlight the educational benefits of Voki.
- “I liked it because it was a unique and fun way to introduce yourself to your class and your website. You could also customize your Voki differently than what you look like … You can have fun!” – Sydney
- “It is good for Grade 8 introductions. Students can find things out about their classmates without the stress of being in front of the class.” – Noah
- “I think it’s a good tool because you can use it to present a project or a speech with it.” – Chase
- “It’s fun to use and it could be helpful in other ways such as sending it to a family member for their birthday, etc.” – Keisha
- “I like Voki because you get to know more about your classmates. It’s fun, new and a good way to start the year.” – Lizzy
- “I liked it because we can express our creativity and get to know others.” – Shaelyn
- “It is good for auditory learners.” – Heidi
- “If you weren’t comfortable with speaking in front of the class, you could use Voki to speak instead.” – Sarah
As you can see, Voki is a fun and engaging web tool that motivates students to creatively share their knowledge. If you haven’t yet, I strongly encourage you to give it a try!
Lynda Hall is a teacher and a technology coordinator.
She runs a technology blog: The De-Tech-tive 4 Teachers
Follow Lynda on Twitter: @MsLHall
3 thoughts on “Guest Blogger: Lynda Hall – Engaging Today’s Students with Voki”
I SIGNED UP FOR VOKI BUT OUR COMPUTERS WERE IN PROCESS OF CHANGING SERVERS ETC. i DIDN’T GET MY CONFIRMATION SO i CAN CONTINUE.
Confirmation emails are sent immediately after they signed up for an account. These emails maybe stuck in the Spam box, so be sure to double check on that. Also, your school may have filters that block Voki notifications. So be sure to add firstname.lastname@example.org to your safe senders list.
The Voki Team